Friday, December 23, 2011

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and All That Jazz.....

I absolutely love Christmas music of any kind.  I like to listen to it and sing with it.  It's the one time of year I actually look forward to piped-in music in stores and offices.  There is something about it that uplifts me, fills me with joy and reminds me of the spirit of the season. 

This time of year, I pause long enough to find myself engaged in conversations with total strangers; genuinely caring about how they are and what they are saying.  There is an added courtesy extended to each other and a revival of thoughtfulness that was once forgotten.  Why is it, that only one month a year has such added joy and kindness? 

Imagine for a moment an entire year of Decembers:  A year filled with generosity of the heart, thoughtfulness of action, kindness of words, and caring for others. What would happen if we had an entire year where we light candles and share a meal?   Or, what if we gathered together to share stories and laughter regularly?  I'm guessing our hearts would be fuller and our focus would shift from "doing" to "being": being still, being present, being kind, being together, being in love.  If you spent less time doing and more time being for this coming year, what is one thing that you would want to "be" more of?

I fall in love every December.  It is a time that I fall deeply in love with my family, my friends and even strangers.  I feel a kinship with humankind that is truly remarkable.  This is a time that I feel such gratitude for all those who share this journey with me and for all those who travel a different road.  I truly believe that we are all more alike then we are different; alike in our needs, our dreams our fears.  If you believed that we all share fears and dreams, what is one fear that you would like to have the courage to walk through this coming year?  Say it outloud.  Now, what dream could come true in your life if you walked through that fear? 

As I sit back tonight and look about, the tree is glowing, candles are burning, presents are wrapped.  We shared a meal together and even shared in the making of pie, chocolate dipping of pretzels and breaking of candy canes to mix with white chocolate. 

Yes, I fall in love this time of year, and, no matter what the struggle was the day before, the night before, the week before or even the month before, it can wait now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment