Sunday, November 6, 2011

Autumn: The Season of Letting-Go

Fall is known as the season of “letting-go.” As the trees yearn to let go of their past and prepare to go inward for a time of rest, reflection and growth, so does the human spirit.

One morning recently, with a somewhat heavy heart, I was walking down the street toward my office. Over the course of seconds the following occurred:

My mind paused and took in my surroundings: baring trees with remaining leaves of green and gold; crisp air, fresh, cool scent, crystal blue sky. This was a truly beautiful morning (even if you’re not crazy about the cold). I double checked my mood, which, up until that awareness, was lower than mid-point. Since I like to live at a “mood gauge” that registers higher than mid-point, below mid-point is low for me and can begin to immobilize me quickly. Teaching to others that we have the power to take action at any moment to change our awareness and experience, I made a conscious choice to heed my teachings and take my next steps into, what I refer to as, “my power of choice and dignity.” With my next foot step, I said, semi out-loud, “I choose to live in a way that allows my magnificence (yes, we are all magnificent) and god-given gifts to bring wellness, joy and laughter into my life and the lives of my family and all others that I touch directly and indirectly.”

Miraculously, my heart soared; my soul felt lighter; a smile crossed my face and I suddenly felt more empowered to give and receive the most that I could from the day. What happened next is, for me, a bit of “God’s Grace.” A person was walking toward me, and what is typically a silent world of passerby’s, this man, with direct eye contact and a full broad smile of his own, said joyfully, “Good morning. You are gorgeous!” I knew, at that moment, I was gorgeous, from the inside out. As we crossed paths, headed in opposite directions, I responded with a clear and confident, “Thank you so much. I truly appreciate your compliment.”

We have the ability to shift our experience at any moment by changing the thoughts we entertain. As I shifted my thoughts, I was fortunate to receive an immediate affirmation that I was headed in the right direction. Although I might not always receive such immediate external rewards and acknowledgment, I always feel more uplifted inside when I am thinking thoughts that are empowering, not draining.

In this fall season, spiritually referred to as a time of “letting-go,” why not make a commitment to let–go of self-limiting thoughts and stories that drain your energy, bring sadness into your heart and keep you from living a life that is magnificent.  Working with support, whether with a trusted friend, mentor, or a Professional Coach, you can make a lasting shift into Better Living by increasing your wellness through greater joy, laughter or whatever you choose as your goal. 

Ask yourself this, "What is one step that I can take right now to bring more joy and Better Living into my life?" Write it down.  Read it again.  Take a deep breath.  Now take your first step.  You deserve it! You are magnificent!

No comments:

Post a Comment