Saturday, September 24, 2011

Greece

There aren't words sufficient to capture the feeling, and express it clearly, of this moment.....the moment of being in Greece, sitting on a rooftop at midnight while viewing the Acropolis in what remains of its full magnificient force, which is to the front of me. To my right is the Stoa of Attalos, and to my left, Lycabettus theatre. All three are lit up, as if to shine light on my insignificance in this world, while shouting boldly that their grandeur has existed for some 3000 years. I wonder if I am moved to tears from my lack of sleep or truly from the feelings of being "in awe." Athens is everything I anticipated and so much more.

The day has been spectacular. I arrived here with my dear friend Ginny after a fitful night of attempting to sleep spread out over two seats. Our laughter has filled every space that we have occupied: from the car ride into JFK with her dedicated driver, a/k/a husband Ed; the ease of lines through the airport; the delivery of a ribbon-tied chocolate bar to "bribe" the check in host at the airport for a better seat (only to end up in the rear of the plane escaping from the single child on the plane); the airplane ride (where we had all our neighbors laughing and I incredibly met an old friend just seconds after saying, "I wonder which one of us will run into someone they know"); to the pick-up by our driver "John; and right up to this rooftop moment when I was wanting to play backgammon! We have laughed at everything, in joy and in exhaustion. Laughter is truly the best medicine of life. (Well, just after being in Greece). If one could measure days in perfection, today was perfect. (Of course my feet have yet to register their vote.)

After looking at the vastness of the area we covered by foot, I am convinced that we walked further today then I have ever done in a day before. At every turn another "ancient ruin" is before you, mixed in with the sidewalk cafes, street vendors and restaurants on the steps. This is a city that doesn't seem to stop. Unlike all that I had read about Athens, I could stay here for days just walking in wonder.

Today we used almost every moment physically possible (yes, a siesta was in order - especially when I thought I would physically tip over from exhaustion). Ginny played tour guide as we walked through the ruins of Ancient Agora, ate lunch on the walkway of Adrianou, strolled through the carless cobblestone streets that meander around the Acropolis, witnessed the gathering of a wedding and dined on the Platka.

The energy here is joyful, uplifting, and lively. People kiss each other here the same way we greet someone with a hello. I am in love.

1 comment:

  1. NICE travel log, you will be able to enjoy this trip again and again..

    ReplyDelete