Monday, September 26, 2011

Athens to Mykonos...the joy is in the journey

I remind myself daily that the "joy is in the journey." When the journey is anywhere in Greece, it truly is easier to be joyful! As the day is ending, I thought that the name of the blog should be, "I wouldn't change a thing." (At least so far.)

Our days in Athens were perfect. Certainly we could have done much more: finish exploring the Ancient Agora, head to the moutaintop to see the famous "church on the hill," or dine at another restaurant on the steps. Yet, there is something satisfying about leaving a place wanting more.

We ate mindfully once again upon "our" (yes, very possessive) rooftop, again savoring the greek yogurt with drizzeled honey and fruit. Ginny wrote as I attempted my hand at my art work. I actually referred to myself as an amateur artist, thinking that this is a beginning of something more. As I try to regain the parts of my brain that have gone dormant, I explore the detail of the past months in my mind wondering why so long has past since my last attempts. All I know at this moment is that I am having difficulty painting distinguishing shades of white. (I wish Chris werer here to coach me through this stuck point.)

Our driver was prompt and we left the hotel as scheduled. (And yes, much to the surprise of those who know me at all, I too was packed and on-time.!) We headed through the busy streets of Athens, busier as a result of the metro strike. We are glad we splurged for the private taxi dirver. Our ferry was much larger than expected, but gratefully so as we hit the swelling Aegean sea waves. First stop, Syros. We arrived at Mykonos four hours after leaving Athens. The time passes quickly as you watch the changing waters and each island that you pass. We didn't even finish our game of backgammon. Thanks to Alice, I have my trusted backgammon game to carry with me. I am still waiting to find a weathered 80 year old man to play with me and tell me tales as we do.

It is easy to find a cab after departing the ferry. We settle into the Carbonaki hotel just a short while later. Our hotel is calming in its multiple shades of white with splashes of blue. It is filled with elegant seating areas that call to you to just be still. We are still, for a moment. Then llaughter fills our space and we are on to the next moment.

The white on white on white is everywhere. The streets, buildings, walkways, ceilings. There are no cars as we stroll along the narrow alley ways between the two and three story buildings with tterraces and flowers, shops and eateries. We had hoped for lunch yet dinner was the next meal since the timing of the day had past. Dinner was at the Appolosa, an excellent recommendation by Panos from the hotel. We shared feta cheese that has never tasted as good anywhere else! After dining, we met people as we strolled in the shops, filling their stores with our llaughter, as they too joined in.

The scenery of our journey will be marked by photographs; my heart will remember the journey by its laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment